Bringing Heritage Home in Calvert

I ❤ Science: Saturday Morning Physics is 4 U
February 8, 2012
Aggies face off against Arkansas tonight, 8:30pm at Reed
March 2, 2012

The Calvert Women's Club will celebrate their grand opening on March 24, from 11a.m. to 4p.m.After eight years of restoration, the Calvert Women’s Club will host a grand opening celebration for the 1909 American Woman’s League chapter house. Visitors will be able to enjoy a full day of early 20th century history while touring League member’s turn-of-the-century homes, enjoying a free ice cream social, and even buying goods at an old-fashion bake sale located in the Karen Wiese Pavilion in historic Virginia Field Park.

This wonderfully rare chapter house building is one of the first built in the United States and is the only one left in Texas. The house symbolizes women’s changing role in rural America. History of the chapter house dates back to May 19, 1890, when Ella Hamman donated a Calvert city lot to the American Woman’s League. The league, in return, provided materials and plans to build a chapter house. 

Today, the building is still filled with many of the original arts and craft style chairs, tables, settees, ceiling lights and carpets. According to historical information posted on the Calvert Women’s Club website, “Perhaps the most impressive interior object is the embedded relief sculpture in the brick over the fireplace. Lewis commissioned George J. Zolnay, a famed Romanian sculptor, to create a sculpture that would capture the ‘Woman’s Mission.’” 

The Calvert Women’s Club will celebrate the grand opening of their Chapter House on March 24 from 11am to 4pm with a variety of activities including home tours and a Blue Bell ice cream social.After eight years of restoration, the Calvert Women’s Club will host a grand opening celebration for the 1909 American Woman’s League chapter house. Visitors will be able to enjoy a full day of early 20th century history while touring League member’s turn-of-the-century homes, enjoying a free ice cream social, and even buying goods at an old-fashion bake sale located in the Karen Wiese Pavilion in historic Virginia Field Park.

This wonderfully rare chapter house building is one of the first built in the United States and is the only one left in Texas. The house symbolizes women’s changing role in rural America. History of the chapter house dates back to May 19, 1890, when Ella Hamman donated a Calvert city lot to the American Woman’s League. The league, in return, provided materials and plans to build a chapter house. 

Today, the building is still filled with many of the original arts and craft style chairs, tables, settees, ceiling lights and carpets. According to historical information posted on the Calvert Women’s Club website, “Perhaps the most impressive interior object is the embedded relief sculpture in the brick over the fireplace. Lewis commissioned George J. Zolnay, a famed Romanian sculptor, to create a sculpture that would capture the ‘Woman’s Mission.’” 

Formed in 1939, the Calvert Women’s Club was established for the purpose of meeting socially for charitable, educational and community needs.

 “One of our main goals as Calvert Women’s Club members is to sponsor community projects; the Heritage Center has been our biggest yet,” says Cindy Delulio, Heritage Center chair. 

Today, the Calvert Women’s Club members also play the role of caretaker for one of the most unique historic buildings in Texas, the Women’s Heritage Center.

The chapter house building is one of the first built in the United States.Joined by Robertson County Historical Commission, Calvert Chamber of Commerce, and City of Calvert, the Calvert Women’s Club formed a community partnership dedicated to the preservation and restoration of their local heritage and to emphasize this building as an important piece of history and tourist destination. 

“With the building’s transformation to a Women’s Heritage Center, a diverse group of visitors will experience the story of rural women bursting into the 20th century during a time of suffrage, urbanization, and growing self-reliance,” according to the Calvert Women’s Club website.

WHAT

Grand Opening Celebration of the newly restored 1909 American Woman’s League chapter house. 

WHEN 

Saturday, March 24, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enjoy tours of historic homes, sing along with the barbershop quartet, soak up the ambiance of the Model T show, and top off your day with a free Blue Bell ice cream social.

WHERE

In the heart of Calvert at the Katy Hamman-Stricker Women’s Heritage Center. 

Parking signs and attendants will be present to help visitors park throughout the day.

HOW

For more information, call (979) 393-0166 or visit www.khsHeritageCenter.com